Wednesday 31 October 2012


Tritton Kunai Headset








My usual choice of mic and earphone has been a basic in earphone bluetooth earpiece that I've had for years, that's purely because I know it works well and it's a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it - or in this case, don't buy something that you really don't need (especially when i usually just have the TV up loud etc).

Anyway I knew it was time to change to something more modern, something that made me truly hear all the sounds going on around me during game play, but which ones would I buy, how was I to decide.  

The opportunity to test out one specific set came thanks to Tritton's Kunai for PS3, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them with you, so here (or maybe I should say hear) goes. 

First thing you notice when the package comes through the door is the size of them, when used to a small in ear bar with mic, these things look enormous - they aren't though. They actually fit lovely around my ears, the comfort factor is fantastic and to say they are large they're certainly not heavy in any way at all.  I'm actually going to take a minute to tell you about the comfort of these earphones as I feel like a lot of thought went into this by the manufacturers.  The cushioned pads are large enough to cup small to average ears completely, or to softly nestle against larger ones.  On top of the cushioning, they swivel, yes, swivel, they feel a bit like a memory foam mattress on your ears, they kind of mold onto your ear form.  It's not only the earpads that move, the headband part does to, allowing for them to reach over a whole manner of head sizes.  

Onto the sound quality, according to the official website for the earphones 'The Kunai outputs game and chat audio through a pair of precision-tuned, amplified 40mm speakers employing Neodymium magnets.'  Don't know what magnets have to do with it, but the sound quality coming through these headsets was amazing. I tested them with two very different games, F1 and Battlefield (of course).  On the track, raring to go in my super sleek F1 car, the engines are revving all around me and my god can I hear them.  I felt like I was there myself, sitting in the drivers seat.  I can honestly sit here and say that these headphones really gave me an immersive experience.    On the field of war, no-one stood a chance against me this time,  I could hear those creeping up behind me trying to stab me in the back and could hear team mates chattering away. It was during this game that I knew these earphones were doing something for me, this was when a friend said "Mate you got a new mic or something you're really clear, I can even hear your muttering language."  Who cares what he can hear I was on a dog tags roll!   What I should've done is actually told him to go and get some Tritton Kunai as it has the ability to turn down game chatter, but keep the game play volume up.  That way he could've tuned my 'muttering' out. 

My only one 'downer' of this headset is it's wired,  to be fair though it is a long wire so you don't have to sit on top of your PS3 to use them, I just feel that with kids and a dog wandering around it's safer to be wireless, but until digital wireless audio lives up to HD standard we all have to make some sacrifices. 

Anyway, after several very enjoyable hours of game play wearing this headset, ignoring the wife and kids and yelling louder than I really should have, I can honestly say these are fantastic and well worth the RRP of £49.99, which is an acceptable price and easily a Christmas present price for any loved one into gaming.  


PRODUCT INFORMATION
TRITTON Kunai Stereo Gaming Headsets
From: Mad Catz

No comments:

Post a Comment