Sunday 3 November 2013


Well it's finally out! After all the waiting,  does Battlefield 4 with the brand new Frostbite 3 engine live up to all the hype? Let's open her up and test her limits to the max!

First up, of course, we take a look in to the campaign, with many first person shooters it seems in this day and age the campaign length's are getting shorter and shorter - which in my eye's is a crying shame.

Developers need to remember that many gamers out there still don't play online  - and when you're paying £40+ for a game you expect it to give you several days of game play activity in story / campaign mode.  So we were hoping seasoned professionals like DICE wouldn't let the fans down!

Unfortunately this wasn't the case! We played this on normal mode with the hope of getting at least eight to nine solid hours worth of campaign play, however we were bitterly disappointed when after only four hours the credits rolled. Now I know it now seems the online multi-player is where it's at, but I do think the developers are missing the point of gaming here and are ultimately cheating the fans out of their often hard earned money. They're no longer offering a good quality title with hours of game play  - they seem to be chucking a simple quick campaign together and saying "That should do it, let's get our focus on the multi player side of the game."

So short campaign over,  and yes despite everything written above I am in awe of the power of the new Frostbite 3 engine. I was blown away (literally) with the outstanding smoothness of the environment, sound and colour, and this was on PS3! I also had NO glitching issues which is a first, well done DICE.


So what about the storyline? I'm not going to say to much, being a short campaign if I tell too much I'll spoil it all,, so really you need to discover and experience it yourself.  Briefly though, it's the year 2020 and as in the real world there is tension all over. You need to battle your way through the campaign to get the American VIP's out of Shanghai and back to the US. Meeting various people along the way, with some stunning cut scenes you will be amazed how well this is set up. You really get a feel for the role your playing - with some intense gun battles your character gets stuck in the middle of good versus evil, but who is who?

I for one loved the campaign but it's just too short, you really start getting into it then it's over. It'a a real shame as being such a massive Battlefield fan (which is the reason I started this blog) I would of loved for them to give us a real journey with many twist and turns along the way.

I like many others are hoping for the return of Battlefield Bad Company 3 - and we can only pray that the campaign is longer, harder and more of a challenge.  In the meantime, I shall enjoy the online, multiplayer abilities, just because I can!

PRODUCT INFORMATION
Battlefield 4
Formats: XO,PC, PS3, X360 
Available: NOW
Publisher: EA

  

No comments:

Post a Comment