Thursday 29 May 2014


SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Review.

As the deadline for this review loomed I suddenly panicked for two reasons, reason one: I would soon have to return this awesome piece of kit and reason two: I realised that I had spent so much time playing with the SteelSeries 'Engine' software, changing the colours that glow on the mouse and charge pad, that I had barely played any actual games to test its performance or usability. So with this realisation I broke out the energy drinks and settled in for a marathon gaming session.

Luckily I had a few new titles to test it out on and it did not disappoint. With a completely scalable CPI setting allowing you to choose two custom sensitivity settings within the companion software 'Engine' you can switch between the two on the fly, in-game, at any time with the press of a button - meaning when you need to whip across the screen fast to shoot Nazis in Wolfenstein: The New Order you can set it to high but for the frustrating lock-picking mechanic in the same game you can cut the sensitivity right down to make it much easier.

Design wise it is much sleeker than its main competitors and is also designed to switch easily to left handed mode. The aforementioned ability to completely customise the colours of the lights mean you can either leave it in battery monitor mode (Green for full, orange for dying, red for dead?!? I'm not sure it still hasn't died on me!) or colour match it to your beautifully lit custom built top of the line gaming rig.

Overall this mouse is easy to use, easy to set up, looks good and should the battery ever run low on you it can be converted into a wired mouse. A quick search on Amazon has them showing up at anywhere from £120 to £240 - so the big question is, is it worth the price tag? In short, No, not really not for a casual gamer like me but absolutely if you're a hardcore gamer.  I think I will wait until it drops in price a little, although it’s going to be hard I think I'm in love...

            Performance 9/10
            Usability 10/10
            Design 10/10
            Overall 9.5/10

For more and to purchase Steelseries merchandise click on the link below:
http://steelseries.com/home

Review by Ryan Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment