Tuesday 6 March 2012



PUZZLER WORLD 2012 - Nintendo DS

If you're a fan of all things puzzle then you may well just be glad to hear about the compendium you can now purchase for the Nintendo DS. Based on the puzzle magazine of the same name Ubisoft has launched this game to entertain all. But does it?

Well yes, in a way. The puzzles are definitely a good assortment,  with  over 1200 puzzles that range in difficulty you don't go short on choice from crosswords, wordsearch and pathfinders to simple link-a-pix, spot the difference and silhouette. You can opt to play whichever level you wish, so either jump straight into the tough ones or ease your way in. 

What's not clarified is who the game is aimed at, whether it's  adults or kids. It's bright colours and large picture layout look like it's for kids and in fact my daughter played some of the games and she enjoyed them.  While the questions in the crosswords are clearly aimed at adults. I have to admit that I did spend many hours playing away one evening on the more challenging games.

I think 'Puzzler' and Ubisoft have missed an opportunity to create two DS games for two audiences. A simple division of adult puzzles and kids puzzles would have enabled them to have an adult and junior compendium. 

This review was actually quite a hard one to write. I felt no strong likes or dislikes to this game. I love the Puzzler magazine, but somehow the game didn't give me the same challenging or satisfaction of completion feeling, yet I have found myself picking it up several times to play when in bed or chilling on the sofa.  If I was a regular traveller I could imagine having this type of game as part of my travelling package. 

Overall for a crossword and puzzle compendium it does give you enough games to not be repeating the same one any time soon  - well not unless you choose too! It does what it does, yet could be more enthralling and challenging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment