Tuesday 7 January 2014


GTA V - by guest reviewer Iain Fisher

I have decided to take a very different approach to reviewing GTA V, I am going to find ways that would be construed as constructive, and hopefully will be introduced into GTA VI, which no doubt will be released in 2030 or when they stop releasing patches for this one, whichever comes first.

I am going to admit the gameplay is fantastic, the inter-changing among the characters is brilliant -  when you jump into Trevor he is usually being chased by a dozen police officers or taking a dump behind a bin. The fluidity of the story and how they interact with each other is like a film - it's brilliantly done. They have so many nice touches both graphically and game play its outstanding. The ballistics of gun fighting is great, the details of bullet wounds is another touch that you would expect to disappear when a cut scene comes in, however bruising and injury doesn't disappear easily which gives this game more a realistic touch.

This version seems to have gone back to brass tac's. It's one professional thief, one hood and one Meth enthusiast coming together and knocking several shades of shit out of Los Santos. 



The game is vast with so much to do you wouldn't notice your wife had left with the kids due to being fed up with you constantly playing that (and I quote)"F**king game again". I have to use a stop watch so when I play it for two hours...I play it for two hours, or family life goes west.

The game designers have taken all the best elements from all the other games and compiled them into one big fantastic game. I think it I would be hard pressed to think of how they move forward on the next generation of console. I am looking forward to it. From the weather, the vast expanse of beauty from the metropolis, to the bikers holiday homes its stunning. I can almost feel the heat and you will love the lightning storms. The driving is difficult at first but you gain experience, this carries over to other elements such as shooting, running and fitness of the devious trio.

I see they are testing the water with animals, having dogs, deer and other road kill candidates in this episode, I failed a mission because I was concerned I was going hit a deer and drove into a canyon. The second time. I wasn't so courteous, basically Bambi copped and unfortunate one.

Things I would personally like to see in the next version:


  • The add ons / sports are more prolific. I found it hard to find tennis, golf etc. I would like to have had to meet crime lords on the golf course to make plans for big heists.
  • I think they could reign in the colourful language its great but after a while the C word loses its impact.
  • Being a police officer trying to fight the crime, vigilante missions were great fun but being a detective (corrupt of course) would be an interesting twist.
  • Please don't lean towards the Sims elements such as having to eat and get dressed... that's just dull.

Other than that I think this game is spot on, engrossing and life destroyingly addictive. 





PRODUCT INFORMATION
Grand Theft Auto V
Formats: PS3, X360
Out: 17/9/2013
Publisher: Rockstar
Developer: In-house

No comments:

Post a Comment