Monday 3 November 2014

One of our guest reviewers has been playing the latest game from publishers Bethesda and developers Tango Gameworks  - The Evil Within.  With lots of scares anticipated, Iain Fisher, closed the curtains, got himself a stiff drink (of tea) and settled in... to poop himself. Did he? Check out his thoughts below.

Hi Boothers,

This may be my final review of 2014 so I best make it a belter. .

I loved Resident Evil before Capcom crapped all over it and I loved Silent Hill until Sean Bean was in it. So when I heard of this (which can only be described as an inevitable mind meddle) game I was over the moon. The trailer had me hooked, it looked slicker than an Italians hair line and gorier than a Saw marathon. My anticipation was unbearable. As they say, 'the anticipation of death is worse than death itself' - in this case I didn't want to be the victim of a knife wielding zombie. But hey, ho into the unknown I ventured.

It arrived and I put it into my hungry PS4.  Once it finished loading my palms were already sweaty and my pulse was gaining speed quickly, didn't help that I was in a darkened room and the initial load screen looks like this!


So it began. Dark, dirty and down right creepy. The pace is quick enough to keep you gripped, but as yet I didn't know up from down, or my left from right.  Yes I died and then the game kindly informed me that 'running is the best option', cheers then.  So it really is one man zombie fest... which is OK as  game concept, but damn they're buggers to kill. The enemies AI is a little mixed and the aiming is sometimes off, in fact, I'd go as far as to say this is what lets the game down.  Often, I aimed at directly at the head with my gun and still missed. A tad frustrating.  While we're talking about the weaponry, there isn't much, you're certainly not armed with an arsenal of options. 


You do have a gun, but finding ammo is not easy, you often have six bullets in the gun, but 10+ enemies coming at you with sythes, fire, guns, knives barbwire and more - if you're easily frustrated with dying multiple times then this game is really going to test you. I have to admit, there were times, I turned it off in frustration mainly with the team AI. It's shocking, you will find yourself shouting. "Just help me you useless idiot" or words that maybe aren't so polite. When your surrounded by a hoard and the guy that is supposed to be helping you is swinging his axe at a wall, it really does piss you off. However, you can grab fire sticks from beaten enemies and also when you do finally kill them, they often leave behind goodies, such as health syringes, brain matter (used for upgrading your abilities) or ammo.  

The graphics are so clinical it does itself an injustice by being too realistic. Some of the death scenes are so graphic I was nauseous. The detail to the scenes and when your injured takes it toll. The only "hang on a minute" moment is my guy was running with a high bolt through his arm like it was nothing! REALLY! You can tell it has Resident Evil running through it's gross veins as the chapters are short and punchy, yet often difficult to find a way out - either thanks to a complicated and very dark map, or the sheer number of enemies. Sometimes they're a bit confusing when they just end... like that!

So onto the upgrades I mentioned, you have to leap into another world (via mirrors)  - it's a bit odd. Once through the mirror you're back in the mental hospital, (it's only patient it seems aswell) and you have to strap yourself into a chair to be injected with the aforementioned brain matter. If you like Sarah Palin and nurses (you kinky people) you are in for a treat when you come to save the game.

I am still playing it - still trying to finish off the fat guy.....but after several heart failure, jumpy moments and several fresh pairs of boxers, I can comfortable sit here and say, it's one of the best games on PS4 that I've played this year, which isn't hard considering there is naff all out until next year!

So in short, the game is flawed but you can look passed it. It's an enjoyable game with a great story, there's certainly room for a sequel. As long as they are faithful to the cause and DO NOT go down the arcade route and basically shit on it for the money!
Have a great Xmas! Oh and don't play this with kids in the room, but do play it in the dark and with a roll of toilet paper near by for when you WILL shit yourself!

Much love

Iain

PRODUCT INFORMATION
The Evil Within
Formats: PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XO
Out: 17/10/2014
Publisher: Bethesda
Developer: Tango Gameworks

No comments:

Post a Comment