Sunday 8 May 2011

Portal 2 - The Review - Thinking outside the Box!

Right, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, I have been enjoying the 'Top Ranked' game that is Portal 2 and here's my thoughts.



As initially stated if you're not puzzle orientated then this isn't the game for you. However, if you love a challenge and want a game that you cant put down then Portal 2 is just that.

After a couple of evening sessions I got up yesterday, took the other half to work and settled in for a days gameplay (well the weather was rubbish!). I thought I'd start the day with some more Portal 2.... at 10pm the game was finally turned off after completing it. There's no way I was ever going to let that game beat me, believe me though there were times when I thought it had and I was close to quitting, or worse cheating. But I took a tea break then dug in and got through it.

It's such a simple concept game, no heroes, no aliens or monsters, no blood and no sappy love story - just you, your portal gun, robots and various beams, vortex's and liquids!

Basically it's an escape game, you have to escape the facility that you have been kept in, to do this you must take the advice of a robot (or two).  The facility is made up of lots of puzzled floors which you have to master.   To make your exit out of each floor you need to use your trusty portal gun to make an entry and an exit portal for you to jump through, send liquid through or maybe even a transporting vortex or cubed box.

Each of the floors / rooms need you to have your logical head on, you need to think about your exit route - or potential exit route.  Think outside the box! Try things out, they just might work.

It takes a while for you to get your bearings in several of the rooms, especially when you jump into portals from heights or odd angles, but you're best just to go with the flow.

This game took approx 16 hours to complete which I would usually say is a short game, but the complexity of this game makes it feel a whole lot longer. The desire to 'not let it beat me' really took a hold and determination set in.  This is a game you could sit and battle out in one long continuous run or play a couple of hours a night - the choice is yours!

It certainly deserves it spot at the top of the charts at the moment  - just can't wait for the PSN to come back online so I can check out the co-op play versions on STEAM.

Check back for a review update as soon as the PSN allows me to! For now, put down your war games and take up a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment