Monday 7 October 2013

Diablo III


I must warn you I have never played a PC to console conversion due to the overwhelming historical fact, they don't work, have never worked and should never be allowed it would be like trying to cross breed a cat with a budgie. However, this time I have to eat my words, as it seems as though the team behind Diablo III have succeeded in porting the game over to console – so that us PS3 and Xbox 360 fans can enjoy this mass action fighting game.  As I said though, having never played it as a PC game, I went into this review with a ‘console only’ mind.

At first once you get passed the wonderfully animated intro you have a basic options screen of who to pick as your gameplay character. Reminded me of Golden Axe a bit -nostalgia crept in at this point.

I have played it with a couple of characters they all have their strength of kicking the life out of the undead, the maps are vast but easy to navigate. The atmosphere and sprite integration is very good almost a seamless transplant from the PC console. I haven't met one that didn't impact the main story.

The upgrades are vast and you can perform some amazing and graphically good super moves against the hoards of undead and the bosses aren't exactly taxing or intelligent which is a bit of let down. There are lots of collectible upgrades in this game that enhance your game play, or should I say fighting abilities and survival rates, so keep your eyes out for achievements and collectibles. 

The only glitches I really came across, where when I had a go at the multiplayer.  It kept freezing and going slow for me, but I’ll be honest and say this maybe my copy!

One major disappointment for me what that there was no real sense of survival, knowing that if you die you’ll simply respawn over and over again, just meant that it really didn’t matter if you died – obviously redoing the same fight multiple times, is frustrating though. 



All in all, I found this came to be a ‘take it or leave it’ kind of game and I’m sure this was down to the fact that A: I’ve never played the original PC versions B: I’m much more of a story line, game play kind of person than the glorified ‘street fighter’ ‘zombie killer’ type.  The diehard fans will love it due to the legacy but if you’re planning on picking it off of the shelves, I would say there are better games available now that you could spend £50 on (GTA V for example) or coming (Batman: Arkham Orgins), so save your money for now.

Overall, my initial thoughts still apply, PC game designers stick to what you do best and console game publishers etc do the same!


PRODUCT INFORMATION
Diablo III
Formats: Mac, PC, PS3, X360, PS4
Out: 15/5/2012 (Mac PC)
 3/9/2013 (PS3 X360)
 TBA (PS4)
Publisher: Blizzard

No comments:

Post a Comment